Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Scarred Lands and World of Warcraft

For a long time now I have been telling people that the Scarred Lands was Sword and Sorcery's homebrew version of World of Warcraft. Now I never actually played WoW, except for when I got a ten day free trial, but I have used WoWpedia to read up on the lore of the game and find ideas that I could borrow for my own campaign. If you are a WoW player then you know that they have just released Cataclysm, the newest expansion.

In reading and listening to people talk about Cataclysm, I almost feel like now The Scarred Lands has borrowed from WoW and WoW has borrowed from the Scarred Lands. Although the events that led to the land being damaged comes from different sources, there are still a lot of things that can be borrowed from WoW generally and Cataclysm specifically to use in a Scarred Lands campaign.

One thing that stands out to me is the Earthen Ring faction that is introduced in cataclysm. In WoW, the Earthen Ring is a group of shamans who have banded together to heal the land of the damage done by Deathwing's awakening. The members of the Earthen Ring are drawn primarily from the ranks of the various Horde races who seek to heal Azeroth.

On Scarn they could serve the same role. Instead of being members of the Horde, it would be comprised of Titanspawned races.  The membership would be more limited then on Azeroth, out of necessity. Among the Titanspawned races the most likely candidates for membership in the Earthen Ring are Orcs, The Proud, the various goblinoids, Urkhadi , and Tauron. Additionally I would posit that the elves of Vera-Tre would open to membership in this group

That is all I have for today. I am sorry that I have already broken my promise to post every week, but this blog stuff is harder than it seems. :) Until next time, good luck and good gaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment